Recipe from Miyoko’s Kitchen
Artisan Vegan Cultured Nut Products
Welcome to Miyoko’s Kitchen! Whether you crave some creamy richness for yourself or to throw a fancy wine and cheese party for your friends, you’ll find everything you need right here! No matter how you slice it, our goal is simple – to make the very best artisan vegan cheese available worldwide, and spread it everywhere! Handcrafted with love in California.
This versatile dish is great whether you just need a mid-afternoon snack or you want to impress your guests with a decadent-tasting vegan appetizer. And from start to finish you can throw this together in less than 10 minutes! Welcome to vegan quesadilla heaven.
Makes 4-6 quesadillas
- 1/2 onion, preferably white or red, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne or chili powder (or to taste)
- pinch of Mexican oregano (optional)
- pinch of salt
- 3-4 ounces Miyoko’s Kitchen Smoked Farmhouse (about 1/2 a round)
- 8-12 corn tortillas
- Heat skillet or frying pan to medium high heat.
- Add olive oil and once hot, add sliced onion, cumin, chili powder, oregano and pinch of salt.
- Stir well to coat with oil.
- Cook, stirring once a minute or so, until soft and beginning to brown, about 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and crumble in 1/2 round of Smoked Farmhouse.
- Stir well with a spoon until cheese is melted and smooth. It will be a thick mixture.
- Spread it as thickly or thinly as you desire between two corn tortillas.
- Heat skillet and cook on both sides until beginning to show brown flecks on tortillas.
- Garnish with fresh Mexican oregano leaves or cilantro, if desired.
- Serve immediately with your favorite salsa or guacamole.
Make it a goal to source locally grown organic produce, organic pastured eggs, raw dairy products, oils, and grass-fed meats as much as possible.