Skip the long line at Chipotle, and serve up a healthy seafood burrito bowl in the comfort of your own home. With layer upon layer of cilantro-lime black beans and rice, sautéed veggies and juicy shrimp, these bowls are a breeze to put together! Sub in your favorite protein (chicken, beef, tofu) — whatever floats your boat. An added perk? You won’t be charged extra for that avocado on top.
For the cilantro black beans and rice
- 3/4 cup (135 grams) uncooked long-grain brown rice (certified gluten-free if necessary)
- 1 1/2 cups (355 grams) water
- 1 (15.5-ounce or 420 grams) can black beans, rinsed and drained (certified gluten-free if necessary)
- 1/4 teaspoon grated lime zest
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1/4 cup (5 grams) chopped fresh cilantro
For the burrito bowl
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 1 medium (55 grams) onion, sliced
- 2 medium (240 grams) bell peppers, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 pound (455 grams) medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 cups (95 grams) loosely packed chopped romaine lettuce
- 1 medium (125 grams) tomato, seeded and chopped
- 1 medium (150 grams) ripe avocado, diced
- Prepare cilantro black beans and rice. Combine rice and water in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil over high heat; reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, for 35–40 minutes, or until tender. Stir in black beans; cook 2–3 minutes until heated through. Stir in lime zest, lime juice and cilantro. Set aside and keep warm.
- While rice cooks, heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat, swirling to coat. Add onion, bell peppers, garlic, cumin and salt. Cook 3 minutes, covered and stirring occasionally, until vegetables are tender. Stir in shrimp; cook 2–3 minutes, stirring often.
- Place 1 cup rice and bean mixture in each of 4 bowls. Top each with 1 1/4 cups shrimp and vegetable mixture. Top each serving evenly with romaine, tomato and avocado.
Recipe Courtesy of My Fitness Pal
Make it a goal to source locally grown organic produce, organic pastured eggs, raw dairy products, oils, and grass-fed meats as much as possible.