What’s your secret? I hear this question a lot during the holidays from people wanting to know how I can indulge without gaining lots of weight, or feel sick from eating way too much rich food. So… I’ll let you in on the secret: I eat light meals in between the heavier ones. It’s so simple that it’s not really qualified to be a secret, but there you have it!
This might sound crazy, but after a full scale holiday meal, I drink green smoothies for breakfast and lunch the next day. It helps me regain my balance, (and my appetite). Smoothies also give me a boost of nutrition from fresh fruits and vegetables which is sometimes lacking during the festivities.
I love to indulge, and I absolutely refuse to feel guilty about it. However, after too many back to back great meals, I usually don’t feel very well. My way of coping with indulgences and staying healthy, is to keep the indulgences spaced out. By eating lots of fresh raw produce, I feel great and I still eat to my hearts content. Green smoothies are also really easy to make, and the cleanup is much easier than a full meal. I love their time-saving aspect, especially during the holidays when there is so much going on.
- 2 large oranges, peeled and quartered
- 1 large Honey Crisp apple, quartered and cored
- 1 – 16 ounce bottle of kombucha, (ginger is my favorite flavor)
- 3 ounces (3 cups) fresh spinach, washed
- Place the oranges, apple, and kombucha in the blender. Blend on low until the fruit is broken down, this makes room for the spinach.
- Add the spinach to the blended fruit and blend, increasing your speed to high and blend until smooth and creamy in texture.
- Serve immediately or refrigerate up to 1 day.
You can use apple juice in place of the kombucha if you can’t find it. I like to use kombucha because it contains probiotics which is a great extra boost!
Recipe Courtesy of Get Inspired Everyday
Make it a goal to source locally grown organic produce, organic pastured eggs, raw dairy products, oils, and grass-fed meats as much as possible.