The Perfect Summer Refreshment
Soaring summer temps call for refreshments that will not only quench your thirst but fill your body with much-needed nutrients. This watermelon agua fresca recipe is just the solution for those days.
Agua Fresca Health Benefits
Depending on what ingredients you use, agua fresca can be a nutritious drink. You can drink your way to a healthier heart and body with watermelon agua fresca. Watermelon is a high lycopene food which means it has cardiovascular health benefits. Watermelon also has flavonoids, carotenoids, and triterpenoids which all give it antioxidant and anti-inflammatory health benefits.
For optimum flavor and nutrition, use a ripe watermelon. Ripe watermelons have been shown to have a higher concentration of lycopene when they the flesh has fully turned from white to pink. Plus, a riper watermelon will be sweeter which reduces (or eliminates) the amount of sweetener needed in the agua fresca.
You can get creative with your agua fresca ingredients and flavor it with what is in season.
Seeds and Grains
- Chia Seeds
- Melon Seeds
Flowers and Herbs
Agua frescas are perfect non-alcoholic party refreshments for both adults and kids. Grab a drink dispenser and fill it with your favorite agua fresca for guests to sip on. Try garnishing it with herbs to add a touch of flavor. By only making agua fresca with fresh fruits and herbs, you are creating a vegan, gluten-free, dairy-free refreshment.
Watermelon Agua Fresca Recipe
- 4 cups seedless watermelon, cubed
- 1 cup filtered water
- 2 tablespoons agave or pure maple syrup, optional
- Mint leaves to garnish
- Add watermelon and water to a blender. Blend the watermelon and water until completely smooth.
- Add sweetener, if desired, and blend again. Transfer to a pitcher. Strain through a fine-mesh sieve, if pulp is undesired.
- Stir in mint leaves. Cover the pitcher and place in the refrigerator. Let chill for at least 1 hour, allowing the mint leaves to flavor the agua fresca and chill. Serve immediately or store up to two days.
Recipe Courtesy of Organic Authority