Because you are trying to follow an organic lifestyle, Live the Organic Life recommends using certified organic ingredients, when available, in all recipes to maximize flavors and minimize your risk of exposure to pesticides, chemicals and preservatives.
I highly recommend organic spices because of the vulnerability they have on picking up chemical and pesticides. Not getting organic spices, you will lose much of its nutrients value that spices have to offer. Try bulk in health stores, wholes food stores and some grocery stores (eventually they will catch up) it will keep your cost down. Store in a tight-closed container and in a cool dry place.
My Favorite Organic Chili
(I put this in my crock pot.)
- 2 lbs. coarsely (grass-fed, no pesticide, no hormone) ground beef (brown and drained)
- 1 – 13 oz. organic kidney beans
- 1 – 28 oz. organic crushed or diced tomatoes
- 2 medium organic onions, coarsely chopped
- 1 green organic pepper, coarsely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 tablespoon organic chili powder
- 1 teaspoon organic ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon organic cumin
- Sea salt to taste
- After browning your ground beef, put all ingredients in your crock-pot in order listed. Stir a few times.
- Cover and cook on Low 10-12 hours or High for 5-6 hours.
- Serve with 100% whole-wheat bread and sprinkle feta cheese. It is delicious.
Recipe Courtesy of Live-The-Organic-Life
Make it a goal to source locally grown organic produce, organic pastured eggs, raw dairy products, oils, and grass-fed meats as much as possible.