Quick, Easy, and Organic
3 Tablespoons olive oil
1 pound ground beef or buffalo (Blackwing Organic Meats is an excellent brand for buffalo)
1 cup mixed frozen veggies (corn, carrots, peas)
¼ cup flour
¾ cup water
1 teaspoon salt
Ground pepper, to taste
For the mashed Potatoes:
6 medium sized potatoes
6 Tablespoons butter
½ cup milk
½ teaspoon salt
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- In a smallish casserole dish, put the olive oil on the bottom. Add the ground beef and frozen vegetables and mix together.
- Add the flour and water to a cup and stir together. Pour over the beef and veggies.
- Add the salt and pepper and put it in the oven to bake for about ½ hour.
- Now, on top of the stove, put the peeled and quartered potatoes on to boil.
- When they are cooked (test by sticking a fork in; if it goes in easily, they are done), drain the water, add 4 tablespoons of the butter, the milk, and the salt, and mash with a masher.
- Open the oven and take out the casserole dish (the beef should be fully cooked at this point, and the gravy bubbling). Put the mashed potatoes on top, and dot with the rest of the butter.
- Turn the oven up to broil and put the casserole in for another 5 to 10 minutes, until the butter on top is melted, and there is a nice golden tinge to the potatoes.
This serves four to six, and also makes a good breakfast the next day! (Snow or no snow.)