It’s been a long, long time since I’ve had pasta, which I ate a lot of when my diet consisted of high-carbohydrate and high-processed foods.
And since I’ve been trying to eat wheat/grain/gluten-free, I honestly thought I’d never be able to eat pasta again.
I liked the ingredient list and already had everything on hand, except for the spaghetti squash which I picked up on my next grocery trip.
And, I made a few changes to “vegan-ize” it and came up with this Vegan Italian Spaghetti Squash Bake version.
This is a really simple meal (or side dish) to make once you have your squash baked and after that’s done, it takes less than 10 minutes to get it in the oven
- 1 organic spaghetti squash
- 1 teaspoon organic extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup organic pasta sauce
- 3 cups organic baby spinach (diced in strips)
- 1 flax egg (1 tablespoon ground flax seed + 3 tablespoons water)
- 3 cloves organic garlic (freshly crushed)
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon organic ground cayenne pepper
- 1/4 – 1/2 teaspoon Himalayan pink salt
For Garnish (Optional)
- organic basil leaves (fresh, diced in strips)
Prepare the spaghetti squash
- Cut the spaghetti squash in half.
Scrape out all the seeds from the inside.
Rub olive oil on the inside of the spaghetti squash.
Bake face down at 350 degrees for approximately 45 – 50 minutes.
Use a fork to scrape the inside of the squash out to use as “pasta”.
- Prepare the flax egg (1 tablespoon of ground flax seeds + 3 tablespoons of water).
Combine cooked spaghetti squash and all other ingredients (including the flax egg) into a medium sized bowl and stir well.
Put the mixture in an 8 x 8 glass or ceramic dish and bake at 375 for about 10 -15 minutes.
Change oven setting to broil and bake for another 5 minutes or until the top becomes crispy.
Garnish with fresh basil and serve hot from the oven.Enjoy!
Recipe Courtesy of The Healthy Family and Home
Make it a goal to source locally grown organic produce, organic pastured eggs, raw dairy products, oils, and grass-fed meats as much as possible.